We have three engineering workshops, located in Dar es Salaam, Mbeya and Mpika.
The Mbeya workshop was specifically set up to undertake the maintenance of General Electric/Krupp (Diesel Electric) Locomotives and all scopes of repair, including the rehabilitation of locomotives from serious train accidents. DE locomotives are TAZARA’s mainstay, employed mostly in mainline operations.
The Dar es Salaam and Mpika workshops, on the other hand, are exact replicas and were particularly established to conduct wagon and coach maintenance and repairs and to offer general engineering services and works that the railway may require including:
- Steel casting
- General purpose and light metal casting
- Forging services
- Coiling of springs
- Crankshaft grinding (up to 3m length and 600mm diameter)
- All basic machining processes, including planing, grinding, turning, shaping and more
- Gear manufacture
- Heat treatment and electroplating
- Laboratory services
- Equipment maintenance, repair and overhaul
- Manufacture of component parts for factories
In addition, TAZARA has six locomotive depots and four rolling stock repair sheds for day-to-day maintenance, fueling and light repairs.