- Carry passengers and goods by rail
- Manufacture parts and provide maintenance and repairs services at any foundry, workshop or other factory owned or operated by the Authority;
- Operate road-rail services;
- Provide storage facilities in Tanzania and Zambia for goods to be carried by the Authority;
- Provide for the consignment of goods to and from any place in Tanzania or Zambia or any other place;
- Determine, impose or levy rates, fares and other charges for any service performed by the Authority or for the use by any person of the facilities provided by the Authority or for the grant to any person of any license, permit or certificate.
- Provide in Tanzania and Zambia such other amenities and facilities for passengers and other persons making use of the services provided by the Authority as the Board may consider necessary or desirable
For a more detailed understanding of the functions of TAZARA, you may refer to the TAZARA Act of 1995.