Q:How can I make a reservation to travel and how can I get my ticket? Can I buy a ticket online?
- A: At the moment, we are unable to offer online sale of tickets. However, we do accept reservations via email, although you would then have to purchase your ticket physically at any of our stations before the actual day of travel. For email reservations, please contact:
- Mr Peter Sichinga, Senior Customer Relations OfficerHead Office, Nyerere Road, Dar es SalaamMobile: +255 753 783 444Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Peter will advise you how to proceed further with your booking. Please remember that you will need to purchase your ticket either a few days before the journey or on the actual day of travel. Therefore, you need to choose the most convenient booking office, from where you will also buy your ticket. If you have not bought your ticket in advance, but have made an advance booking, you need to arrive at the station earlier, say an hour or two before the expected departure time.
- The following contacts for Station Masters could be of help, depending on which station you are planning to board from:
Cellphone contacts for Station Masters (Main stations only)
Dar es Salaam Station: Ms Maneno +255 754 260 988 or Mr Iwasha +255 713 225 290
Ifakara Station: +255 783 125 439
Mlimba Station: +255 784 314 101
Mbeya Station: Mr Choga +255 754 686 810
Nakonde Station: Mr Mandona +260 977 988 428
Mpika Station: Mr Charles Mbewe +260 966 655 036
New Kapiri-Mposhi Station: Mr Simuntala +260 977 269 276
Q: How much does a ticket cost?
- A: The cost of a ticket depends on the type of train (express or ordinary), where you are travelling to, from where and in which class. The precise ticket fares are indicated on the Fare Chart. Suffice to say, however, that:
- An adult pays full fare,
- A student (under 21 years) with a valid identity card (Zambian or Tanzanian) pays half fare,
- Children under the age of three years travelling under the care of an adult passenger shall be conveyed free of charge,
- Children, who have attained the age of three years and are under the age of sixteen years, shall be conveyed at children fares.
- Q: Is there a limit on how much baggage one can carry or take into the train?
A: Passengers holding valid tickets are allowed to convey the following as hand luggage free of charge:
First Class 35kg Second Class 25kg Super Seater 20kg Third Class 15kg
Any excess luggage will require to be paid for and conveyed in the luggage van attached to the same train the passenger is traveling on except in special circumstances where the excess luggage may be delivered at a later date.
Q: How long does it take for a passenger train to reach New Kapiri-Mposhi from Dar es Salaam and vice versa?
A: The TAZARA Journey takes approximately 46 hours between Dar es Salaam and New Kapiri-Mposhi. At times, the passenger trains pass through specific areas along the line to enable passengers view the magnificent scenery, game and other attractions, to mention but a few.
- Q: Do you allow people of the same family to be in one compartment?
Yes, we do allow, provided your prior booking was for a full compartment and was clearly indicated as a family compartment. Otherwise, we do not mix passengers of different sexes. Passengers of different sexes shall occupy different compartments.
- Q: How many people can travel in one compartment?
Remember our 1st class compartments have four berths whilst 2 nd class compartments have six berths.
- Q: Can one obtain a visa on the train?
Immigration matters are always best dealt with by immigration experts and well in advance. We advise our passengers to complete visa arrangements before taking the train. For Tanzanian and Zambian nationals, immigration formalities are relatively easier and are dealt with on board. Our experience is that nationalities, other than Zambians and Tanzanians, have varying conditions of entry into Zambia or Tanzania. We therefore strongly recommend that one undertakes prior consultations with the relevant immigration authorities before travelling. Further details may be obtained from www.immigration.go.tz in the case of Tanzanian Immigration or www.zambiaimmigration.gov.zm in the case of Zambian Immigration.
- Q: Is there any transport connections from New Kapiri-Mposhi and how does one get to New Kapiri-Mposhi?
Yes, at New Kapiri Mposhi one can catch public buses and taxis to Lusaka or any other destination. However, if the train for one reason or another is delayed and arrives at night, we recommend that you avoid moving at night, due to safety reasons. The best, in this case, is to look for accommodation and spend the night in Kapiri-Mposhi and connect to your destination in the morning.
- Q: What are passengers provided with on the train?
For the First Class passengers we provide beddings, toiletries and bottled mineral water. We also provide room service for upper classes, i.e. food and drinks may be served in the compartments. We also have a lounge car where customers in the upper class can relax and watch movies, whilst being served with chilled or hot beverages of choice.